searchitup

12.01.2010

Ocean Geekage

I wasn't intending on writing about this today - had something else in mind - but after I read something in the Bible this morning I just had to.

Have you ever had a Bible geek-out moment?  When you're reading your Bible on, say, the 2 train... and all of a sudden you just get to something SO cool or amazing or something pops out that you've never seen before... and your mouth drops open and you instinctively look up to see who's around you that you can share this moment with... and no one cares... so you just have a little geek-out party in your seat? 

If not, I highly recommend giving it a try sometime.

[And the best part is, those geek-out moments are usually things that are ONLY cool to you anyway, so even if someone were to actually listen to you, they totally wouldn't get it.]

So I'm reading Psalm 98 this morning and I get to the end where it says this [and it's the psalmist talking about praising God]:
Let the sea resound, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it.  Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing for joy. [Psalm 98:7-8]
Now, you're sitting there saying ".......o....kay...." and looking expectantly at me so that I can explain the really cool part, which just proves my parenthetical statement made above.  But here's the thing - for whatever reason, I absolutely LOVE images of nature praising God.  Especially when it talks about bodies of water.

Sorry for the sidebar, but who on EARTH decided on the phrase "body" of water?  That's ridiculous.

But seriously, I am self-proclaimed, unashamed ocean freak.  I absolutely adore the ocean.  Which is ironic, because I don't like actually going INTO the ocean [for many reasons, among them riptides, sharks and jellyfish - and before you call me a wuss, YOU come face-to-face with a Bermudian Portuguese Man-of-War].  But I can sit and watch the ocean forever.  Pictures of the ocean, videos of the ocean, movies about the ocean... bring 'em.  The ocean is just so huge and so powerful - I don't know, I guess I can't completely explain why I love it so much, I just do.

So a few years ago, I was reading another Psalm that said this:
The seas have lifted up, O LORD, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves [Psalm 93:3]
And I remember that I just got this image in my head of somewhere out in the middle of the Pacific, no land or people or boats or anything in sight... and the ocean just decides that it wants to praise God.  So the waters just come together and form the hugest wave ever formed - taller than any wave that human eyes have ever seen - and then it just CRASHES down in praise to God.  The power in that ocean - and the fact that even it is under complete submission to the LORD is just bananas.

So when I read this verse this morning, I got that image back in my head... and then the rivers clapping their hands [how cool is that??] and the mountains singing... what I wouldn't give to hear a mountain straight SING.

And this is the moment where you all just nod and smile, and allow me some ocean geekage.  But does anybody else feel me on that??
 

1 comment: